Monday, March 9, 2015

My journey

 As shared on Massey University's Alunmi Feature in 2011

Hello,
I am a School of Aviation Management Graduate and I'd like to share my story since graduation.

I was a young 18 yr old aviation enthusiast when I got selected into the Air Transport Pilot Program at Massey Aviation in 2002 and studied until the end of 2004 when I had to pull out of the program due to a family tragedy. I took a year off from Massey and returned to Samoa to help my family.


Upon my return in 2006, I changed majors to Aviation Management without knowing the roller coaster ride this qualification will take me.  I graduated in Nov 2008 with the Bachelors of Aviation Management and about 100 flying hours from the ATP Program.  At the same time, Massey University launched my poetry book (the majority of which i wrote at Massey Palmerston North) which they published at Massey titled 'Raw Edges' .  The launch was held in Palmerston North a few days before my graduation.  Raw Edges was also launched in Samoan upon my return in December 2008, which was also presented to our Head of State (King) 'Tuiatua Tupua Tamasese Efi' and commended by the Prime Minister (Tuilaepa Sailele Malielegaoi) and Deputy Prime Minister (Misa Telefoni Retzlaff). see link below



I was initially employed as the Samoa Airport Authority's first 'Research & Training Officer' responsible for managing training programs and seeking training opportunities for its 200 employees, a year later I was to work for the Ministry of Works, Transport & Infrastructure under the Civil Aviation Division as their Aviation Licensing Officer responsible for the issuance and monitoring of all air transport/aviation licenses including pilots,engineers, airports, airlines, etc...Last year 2010, I was awarded a full scholarship to study the Graduate Diploma in Aviation at the Singapore Aviation Academy in partnership with the National University of Singapore. I completed the Program in 11 weeks and was award a 4.67GPA. 

Early this year, I was up for a promotion and now been made the first Aviation Principal Licensing & Certification Officer overseeing and spearheading a big project which will see the direct issuance of Samoa's first very own Commercial /ATPL licenses since we have only been validating NZ and Australian Licenses as well as Air Traffic Control and engineer licenses.

At the same time, I have been awarded a FULL Scholarship to take up the Masters Degree (MSc Air Transport Planning & Management) in London, University of Westminster UK in October this year. see link below http://www.westminster.ac.uk/about/news-and-events/news/2011/University-scholarships-top-4m-as-international-awards-are-announced
and will be graduating with that in Oct 2012 (God willing).


The Bachelor of Aviation Management from Massey University has helped me launch an exciting career and the aviation industry has never ceases to amaze me. It is still dynamic, inspirational and never boring! I'd like to thank all my instructors,lecturers, Wendy Wilson (i see she's no longer with the Aviation school) and anyone who has been of help to me during my time at Massey.  Upon the completion of my Masters degree, I wish to study at Massey again, perhaps a PhD!!

1 comment:

  1. We are all constructed out of our self dialogue. Team / Clients / Contact Overview A&G Equipment Pte Ltd (A&G) is establish in 2009 and have grown over the years leasing industrial machinery; comprising mainly Mobile Elevated Work Platforms (MEWP), forklift and other industrial machinery. A&G is a solutions provider for customer across various industries...
    boom lift rental singapore
    boom lift
    genie lift

    ReplyDelete

I have bloody time before the baby comes!

WOW, I haven't touched this blog in...6 years has been a long time and have I done much in that time? Let's recap: 1. Got marrie...